Sunday, October 13, 2013

The 12th Woman

Some of you may know that I love football...specifically, the Seahawks. For our first Christmas together, I bought Brian season tickets to the Seahawks. I was so excited for him to open that gift and see what we were going to be able to spend time doing together. Although, when we finally got our tickets, I didn't get to go as often as I would have liked to. But, now that the tickets are mine and mine alone, I get to go to every game if I want to...and I do!! There is nothing that I love more than being at a Seahawks game and until you've gone to one in person, I don't think you could ever understand! The joy that I get from watching the players enter the field, seeing the 12 Man flag raised, hearing the deafening roar of the crowd, watching the bone-crushing plays. It's awesome! Those are most certainly my happy day! I love football! When Brian passed away, I posted my tickets for sale on Facebook. Nothing like the panic of one entire income being ripped out from under you to spur on life-changing decisions. I sold me tickets. In a period of about 45 minutes, I watched as all of the games I had left were sold. I was devastated. But, in the midst of my sadness I had several of my friends purchase them and take me with the other ticket. And I am eternally grateful to those people! That was such a hard time for me, and the generosity that you all showed just purchasing the tickets was amazing, but for some of you to take me with you warmed my heart! One of the people that took me to the game with them was Kristi. Kristi and I were not close three years ago. In fact, her mom had tried to get us to be friends, but neither of us were interested in friends at that point...or at least I wasn't interested. I was getting married! I didn't need friends, I had Brian. And then my world came tumbling down and this girl I barely knew bought the tickets for my birthday weekend...and then took me with her. She and I had a fantastic time and we became fast friends! And she's gone to almost every home Seahawk game since then. And there isn't anyone in the world I would rather spend my football days with than her. We laugh. We cry. We vent. We maybe drink a little bit...we cheer for our home team whether they are winning or losing (although we say all the time how much more fun it is when we win.) This girl was a stranger. And then she was my friend's daughter. And then she was my football partner. And now she's one of my very best friends. I love her with all my heart and I live for the days of the home games. It used to be about the football...and it still is to a point, but I also can't wait to spend time with this girl who is kind and amazing and funny and my soul sister. Seahawk Sundays with Kristi are my happy place! My heart soars when we sit in those seats together laughing and screaming our lungs out. Which bring me to my One More Thing, Mommy moment: I tuck Amelia into bed and she says, "Why do you like football so much? What's so great about it?" And I proceed to tell her basically what I've typed above. She squints her eyes and looks at me and says, "So, it's really just an excuse to hang out with Kristi?" I smiled at her and said, "Yes, Amelia. That is part of it. I love football a lot, but I love Kristi a lot too." Then Amelia says, "Mommy, Emerson and I miss you a lot when you are gone." My guilty mommy side kicked in immediately and I said, "I know Amelia. I miss you both too, but..." "Mommy...you didn't let me finish. Emerson and I miss you a lot when you are gone, but we hope that you aren't sad. We know how much you love Kristi. And you know how much WE love Kristi. So, we aren't sad when you go to football with Auntie Kristi because we know it makes you both happy. You are our best mommy ever, and we want you to be happy because you do everything for us. So, staying with MomMom and Pa is our way to thank you for all you do, because we just love you and want you to be happy." She told me good night and I stood there for a few minutes...thinking in awe once again at the gift I have in those two girls. I am a lucky momma...not only do I get to go to football and have a bestie in Kristi, but I also have two of the most precious, most caring, most sensitive girls in the world. I am a blessed momma...and a blessed friend...and a blessed football fan :) What more could a girl ask for? Go Hawks!

No comments:

Post a Comment